What we know as of today:
• 10 people are confirmed dead, 9 of them students
• 10 others, including a police officer, were wounded in shooting. • The shooter, has been identified as a 17-year-old male student named Dimitrios Pagourtzis,
• A second student was detained for questioning, police said.
• Two weapons, a shotgun and a handgun, were recovered at the scene.
• The shooter is in custody
• Possible explosive devices were also discovered at the school and near the campus.
• President Trump said of the shootings: "very sad day."
• "Everyone must work together at every level of government to keep our children safe,"
According to CNN: "He is in jail, accused of capital murder, the sheriff's office said.
The alleged shooter used a shotgun and a .38 revolver that were legally owned by his father, Abbott told reporters. Two school resource officers were on the campus and confronted the shooter "early on in the process," Abbott said."
• Abbott said investigators have found journals on a computer and cell phone owned by the suspect.
• The governor offered his sympathies to the victims then called for lawmakers and others to come together to prevent more tragedies. "We need to do more than just pray for the victims and their families. It's time in Texas that we take action to step up and make sure this tragedy is never repeated ever again."
• Retired Houston Police officer John Barnes was one of the people shot at Santa Fe High School, a hospital official said. Houston's police chief tweeted that he visited the hospital where Barnes was being treated and that Barnes was "hanging in there." The officer was working as a Santa Fe officer, a police union official tweeted.